Shutting off water for winter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigmamma

Reaction score
We have Toto Guinevere toilets in our new Wisconsin vacation home. We have well water and use a water softener. We keep the heat set at 60 but were going to drain the pipes and shut off the water for the winter to eliminate pipes possibly bursting. Will this cause any damage to the toilets? In my older vacation home, we would get hard rust stains in the toilets which were very hard to remove. Don't know if this will happen in this house. With the sani-finish I don't know if that would be a problem if it did happen.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would have a couple of concerns. It is very difficult to be sure all of the water will drain from pipes by simple gravity. There are almost certainly going to be low spots that won't drain. You should have the pipe blown out with compressed air, but do not blow air into the toilets. P traps should be protected from freezing as well, but they need to remain full of liquid to block sewer gases and vermin. Some folks use cooking oil, other like RV anti-freeze. (NOT automotive) The toilet bowls and tanks need to be drained, and the toilet traps protected with oil or anti-freeze.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks