Shutoff valve orientation for lav sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
Hey All,

This is probably the stupidest question ever posted, but I just don't know the answer. I am installing a lav sink for a laundry room and the sink itself is rather deep, and barely clears the supply line connections which are pointing straight up. It is a sweat on full turn valve.
So I figure I have a few choices, probably some of which are better than others. Should I:

- remove and reinstall the same valves and point them to 3/9 o'clock, or both to 6? I've never seen valves point down instead of up so not sure how appropriate it is
- remove and replace with straight through valves with the shutoff on the side
- replace with sharkbite valves so I can wing them around where I need em

The new faucet has flexible supply lines so routing/installing shouldn't be a huge deal w/ any orientation. Thank you for any advice!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would dump them and install some 1/4 turn ball valves, which are more reliable, look better, and are easier to operate.

Giantsean

Reaction score
If I do toss the existing ones I might as well get straight through valves then. On the other hand, many say that multi-turn valves are superior because you can repair them in place (vs needing to toss the entire thing with a ball valve. Nowhere in this world save the construction business are there so many "best ways" to do something :p

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have never repaired a multi-turn valve. I have replaced thousands of them.
But that's a plumbers perspective that has insurance in case stuff goes downhill. I prefer to get it right. Plus I like new stuff.
I only install 1/4 turn valves.

Flapper

Reaction score
If I do toss the existing ones I might as well get straight through valves then. On the other hand, many say that multi-turn valves are superior because you can repair them in place (vs needing to toss the entire thing with a ball valve. Nowhere in this world save the construction business are there so many "best ways" to do something :p
You can repair them because they'd need to be repaired; 1/4 turns can't be repaired because they won't need to be repaired.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In addition to all of the above, forget about sharkbite valves. Use compression. Sweat on would work, but a bit more effort and the compression are neater looking where looks are important.

Giantsean

Reaction score
Ok sold on 1/4 turn. I will pick some up. So as for the most pressing question, can I point the angle valve w/ the supply hookup pointing down, or do I need to get some straight thrus?

You guys are really the best help a DIY'er can ask for!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the supplies are coming out of the wall, you can install an angle stop pointed up, down, sideways, or anywhere in between.

Flapper

Reaction score
Ok sold on 1/4 turn. I will pick some up. So as for the most pressing question, can I point the angle valve w/ the supply hookup pointing down, or do I need to get some straight thrus?

You guys are really the best help a DIY'er can ask for!

They can point anywhere you want.
I think it may be a good idea to point them down because then your flex makes a U-shape... if you have the valve output pointing at the destination, you are always going to have the flex looped or spiraled or whatever and it's ugly. With a U-shape the end can go anywhere and it will always be a nice U. Less stress on the flex too; the flex hangs straight down from the connections. I haven't really actually tried this but I figured it's a good idea.
And there may be other benefits of having the valve output pointing down like you won't have water sitting in it...

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Although I like the quarter-turn stops, removing the stem from a new stop and screwing into the old one takes thirty seconds and will get you out of the cabinet a lot quicker. Not as flexible as I used to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks