shut off valve leak

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jdon88, Jul 11, 2010.

1. jdon88

jdon88 New Member

This seems to happen to me all the time. I just bought an older home and have some work to do before I move in. i thought it would be a good idea to turn off the main water supply since I won't be back at the house for a week or so. When i turn the valve back on it now has a slow leak from the stem. Seems like any of the shut off valves that haven't been operated for years will start leaking if I turn them.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Not unusual. It is probably a gate valve with a bonnet nut. You could try tightening the nut just a little. Don't overdue it.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Unless it is a valve with an "O" ring seal, tightening the nut beneath the handle should stop the leak. Do not tighten too much or the handle will not turn.
  4. jdon88

jdon88 New Member

Thanks, I tightened the nut and looks like it stopped.