Shower woes. Kohler rgp71969

Users who are viewing this thread

jamesavery22

Reaction score
My two showers are both single control valves which use kohler part rgp71969 for the cartridge.

After a new water heater installation, each have their own issue

One, seems to get it's cold water over powered by the hot water. This is new. Never happened before the new water heater. The shower puts out pressure when the valve is on either side, a hair past "OFF" or all the way on hot. I believe that tells me that both the cold line and hot line are feeding it. Yet, once the water gets hot, it seems to never go back to cold. I can leave it on a hair past "OFF" and it will stay cold for some time, but once it gets hot, it's blazing hot. Could my new water heater be giving too much pressure for this type of valve?

The second one is different. I believe the issue was there before the new water heater. I'm not sure because I never used that shower until after the new water heater was installed... So not many data points here. I'm sorry. With the second, it only gets cold water. When a hair past "off" the cold water flows steadily. When I turn it all the way to hot the water drops to 0. No water comes out.
That made me think there was a cut off right by the valve. Took it apart and I see no cut off valve on either side. Is there any chance a cut off valve is past the studs the pipes go through?

I'm lost on both sides. A plumber said the cartridges were bad. So blindly, I bought new rgp71969's. Replaced both and no change at all...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for reading.
J

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks