shower with six 2.5 gpm heads on well

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by tjetson, Nov 26, 2013.

1. tjetson

tjetson New Member

Hi,

trying to spec a pump for my new house it has a shower with 6x2.5gpm water tile bodysprays

should i be going with a variable speed pump for this application? i read a page saying they are a scam and break quicker not sure if that is true or not.

what would be the best way to meet these requirements with a well pump

thanks
  2. VAWellDriller

VAWellDriller Member

I'll leave the variable speed debate to others...but to properly spec any well pump, you need to know the approximate pumping water level at its reported yield...and start from there. You'll want at least a 20 gpm pump....which could be anything from 1/2 to 5 HP depending on the well.
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

The size of pump depends on the depth to water in the well, how many GPM’s you need at the same time, and the pressure you want to come out the showerheads.

The trick is to be able to run as much water as you want, and still be able to use small amount of water without damaging the pump/motor, but you don’t need a variable speed pump for that.

You can also do this with a really big pressure tank or a Cycle Stop Valve and a small tank.

Find out how deep you are pumping from and if the well will make 20 GPM first. If the well won’t make 20 GPM, you will need a storage/cistern tank and another booster pump.
  4. tjetson

tjetson New Member

the well is 5" pvc down to 138 feet, i lost the drilling papers but at one point it was going to be used for a geothermal system that required huge ammounts of water so it should meet 20 gpm no problems

Im meeting with an installer tomorrow just wanted to be alittle versed in it so they dont rip me off like an old lady
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Before you buy anything you need to have them test the well to determine it's true recovery rate. Without knowing that much of the equation you risk destroying whatever pump you end up choosing. Based on past posts made here, the variable speed pumps seem to have a lot of controller failures, which would cause me to shy away from them and go with a standard pump and tank system.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Huge amounts is not a measurable value and depends on many factors. Could be less than 1.5 GPM per ton.