shower water temperature fluctuation problem

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dayexday, Jul 3, 2012.

1. dayexday

dayexday New Member

hello, i'm having a problem with my water temperature when I shower. Whenever I turn the shower on, even at a low pressure, the water temperature will go from from hot to cold to hot without reason. it seems to be related to the water pressure b/c when it gets colder, the water pressure increases slightly even though I'm not turning the controls. the fluctuation gets worse if I turn the water on all the way so I can't use the shower at full blast.

Any ideas what needs to be done?

Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Can you post a picture of the shower valve?
    New valves come pressure balanced. If you have old piping and the old non-balanced valve, then adding an expansion tank helps with pressure swings.
    If you have a pressure balanced valve and the temperature is changing, then you may need some work with the cartridge.
  3. dayexday

dayexday New Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  4. dayexday

dayexday New Member

i have old valves so I'm thinking I should have pressure balanced valves installed. Would you know if that require putting a hole through the wall and what that process entails? Thanks again

DSCN1630 smaller.jpg
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Moen has a remodel plate for their Posi-Temp tub/shower valve. You cut the tile from the supplied template and that gives enough space for a plumber to get in there and change it.