Shower/Washer/Sink Drain Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael66

Reaction score
Hi, new member here and I need advice on my shower/washer/utility sink drain installation. This is in a leased industrial shop, so I did not want to do any concrete slab demolition. I built a raised platform for the store bought shower stall so I would have enough room for the drain and I also wanted to include drains for a washer and a utility sink. The main drain goes into a 3" clean-out that had a threaded cap where I screwed in a 3" to 2" adapter so I could remove everything when I leave. Any ideas or advice appreciated.

The only thing I glued already is the utility sink drain all the way to the double wye, so I have no problems if I need to make changes.
IMG_1956.JPG

Pic below has a shorter stub without the 45 from the p-trap, better or worse than above?
IMG_1940.JPG

Finished shower drain sits approximately 2" above framing.
IMG_1955.JPG

Standpipe length is 42" from the water line in the p-trap. The 2" vent pipe goes up 9' through the ceiling where it ends with a 2" AAV.
IMG_1954.JPG

For the vent on the utility sink, I used a 1 1/2" AAV which goes up to almost touch the underside of the sink.
IMG_1957.JPG

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Reaction score
You don't own the property, and you aren't running any long lengths, so these hacks are fine.

You may not need to vent nor trap anything, you can find out if that slab drain is trapped and vented already. Trapping a trap will make drain times slower.

And if you really need to vent, that AAV with the sink will do. Everything is so close to each other, none of the traps will have a chance to get vaccuumed out.

Last edited:

Michael66

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I just wanted a little positive reinforcement. I did wonder if the washer would drain too fast and push water past the drain and up into the shower. Also, my unit is at the street with another 10 units in a straight line behind me. Every unit has the same clean-out in their bathroom and each bathroom has a toilet and small sink which are vented through the roof. Since I'm first in line and there are no other vents between my bathroom and the street, I believe the floor clean-out is direct to the sewer.

Cheers,
Michael

Reaction score
Look, glue it all up on your original design, and then test it before you start closing it up. That way any problems you discover, you can just chop the plastic and do it again. Plastic is cheap, soft, and easy.

A long garden hose is your friend here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks