shower wall paneling

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by hotrod351, Jan 20, 2009.

1. hotrod351

hotrod351 New Member

i live in a old mobile home. i keep having problems with the paneling in the bath tub shower walls. the wall werent in that good of shape when i bought the place, ofcourse there were over 15 years old, so i replaced them with paneling from our local tru value store and they lasted 8 years. well that store went out of business and now we have home depot, i bought, what appeared to be, the same type of paneling, but it last about 8 or 9 months until it starts go to hell, i mean it starts to peel and buckle. i have looked on line for some good bath tub wall surround but the only stuff i can find cost around $400.00. i was hoping to find some abs paneling, 1/8th thick that i could use, figured it would hold up. any cost effective way to solve this problem.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Well, it is for bathroom walls but not really for showers.....but a product that HD sells called FRP panel. It is all plastic, and would hold up. But is is flat sheets, and you would have trouble with the corners seams.
  3. hotrod351

hotrod351 New Member

well i bought some pvc sheets, 1/8th thick, at home depot, textured on one side. feels thicker the the cheap surrounds they have. now all i have to do is see how long it will last. would of been perfect to find some sheets 3/16ths thick. im sure that would last for ever. now, correct me if im wrong, im figuring i can clean it with ordinary household cleaners.