Shower venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

Duffer

Reaction score
Hi,
I am doing a small bathroom reno in the basement and will use the Schluter system.
My question is related to the venting of the shower drain and the placement of the vent shown in the picture. Can I leave the horizontal as it is now in the slab so I can install my curb or should I bring it vertically about 10 inches hidden in a stub wall., ( at least 6 inches above the drain of the shower,) then horizontally ( sloped) to tie into the vertical along the wall?
One of the images shows the original location and orientation of the vent but I wanted to get rid of the wall that had the valve and vent.

Also, how do you guys adjust the level of the p trap so it aligns with the floor drain? I have tried various combinations..
Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• IMG_20150516_111037.jpg
    IMG_20150516_111037.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_20150531_095834.jpg
    IMG_20150531_095834.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_20150414_064135.jpg
    IMG_20150414_064135.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

Duffer

Reaction score
Hi,
I am doing a small bathroom reno in the basement and will use the Schluter system.
My question is related to the venting of the shower drain and the placement of the vent shown in the picture. Can I leave the horizontal as it is now in the slab so I can install my curb or should I bring it vertically about 10 inches hidden in a stub wall., ( at least 6 inches above the drain of the shower,) then horizontally ( sloped) to tie into the vertical along the wall?
One of the images shows the original location and orientation of the vent but I wanted to get rid of the wall that had the valve and vent.

Also, how do you guys adjust the level of the p trap so it aligns with the floor drain? I have tried various combinations..
Thanks for the input.

Guys,
Is there any input in this situation?
Much appreciate if there were any suggestions.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The preference is to have is six inches above flood level.
A flat vent that is unwashed can go bad. They used to let me install them that way in the 70's.
If you had a lav connected to the drain, that would be used to snake the "wet vent"
There is no way to snake a dry vent, thus the reason to keep it above the flooding level.

Duffer

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
I will go vertically about 10 - 12 inches then horizontally to tap into the vertical along the end wall.
I will hide the vent in a small wall that will be at the side of the shower.

Would you agree?
Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20150602_180401.jpg
    IMG_20150602_180401.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 252

Duffer

Reaction score
Why do you have the two 1/16 bends before the trap? They are unnecessary and unless they are on a flat plane will complicate things.
I have two 22.5 on the trap arm as a trail to see how i can get the trap to become flush with the drain.

The arm coming out before the trap is not flat and is sloped so much that I would not get a flush riser for the trap.
Another alternative would be to use the trap with the adjustable knuckle at the weir and has the screw clean out but I don't want to bury that under the slab.
Any suggestions on how to get the trap to line up flush as it come to the the top to connect to the drain?

Thanks

Duffer

Reaction score
Why do you have the two 1/16 bends before the trap? They are unnecessary and unless they are on a flat plane will complicate things.
When i took out the old trap, it was the screw type attachment with the cleanout, I can get the new trap horizontally flush at the top if I install one of those but i hesitate to put this under ground. I drew a sketch to show. How would one deal with this situation?

Attachments

• ptrap duffer.pdf
    6.2 KB · Views: 170

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the slope on the trap arm without the 1/16 bends? Also, if you aren't aware, if you rely on dry fitting your pipe lengths will come up short. Better to measure taking in to account the fitting socket depth.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks