Shower vent, looking for confirmation

Users who are viewing this thread

novaee04

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I am looking for confirmation that this is good. I believe that it is, but a second (or third) opinion would be appreciated. This is a shower drain. It goes into a 2" p trap, which wye's into the drain. The other end of the wye is the vent, it goes back, reduces to 1 1/2 and then elbows up.

One question, the other end of the drain elbows 90 into a horizontal drain to the stack. I was wondering if I need a cleanout anywhere in the shower leg, or just at the end of the horizontal drain going to the stack. Also, the end of that horizontal drain comes almost to a wall, so to make the cleanout useful, is it OK to use a wye to an elbow to the cleanout?

shower.jpg

novaee04

Reaction score
Can I wet vent through a sink? How far downstream can it be?

Does a bathtub (no shower, just a bath) need its own vent?

Thanks

Sean

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Every trapped fixture needs a vent.

But not every trap needs a dedicated vent. They can be shared if done properly. Your horizontal/flat vent would NOT be acceptable under most codes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;The vent has to be downstream of the fixture, and must rise vertically off the trap arm.

Technically, the vent has to be AT the "P" traps connection to the drain system. "Downstream" can create "S" traps or other siphonage problems. This vent, even though it is horizontal, is at the connection point, so that at least is correct.

Sluggo

Reaction score
So, if he made the P trap connection over at the wall where the vent rises vertically, and made the whole drain 2", he'd be good?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks