Shower Vent and Tie in

Users who are viewing this thread

Deats

Reaction score
Hi,

I had my town inspector out and he wants a dry vent on the shower and Wye connector from the main trunk. My question is can I use a Wye connector on the 2" shower pipe to the vent pipe or should I have used a sani t? My other question is I used a street 90 from the Wye connector off the 3" main is this ok?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 842

MKS

Reaction score
The shower drain pipe probably can be connected to the three inch main by rolling the three inch y to about 45 degrees and using a 45 on the end of the shower drain.
If it has to have a dry vent then I believe the drain pipe would need to be mostly directly below the vent going up in the wall.
No sani t here.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
On a dry vent, no part of it may be pitched at less than 45 degrees until it is at least 44" above the floor or 6" higher than the flood rim of the highest connected fixture, whichever is higher.
That section you have below grade does not appear to be pitched enough, and should not pass inspection.

Deats

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I took another picture and marked up with a level. I'm thinking if I pitch the Wye angling up and just make sure I have at 45 degree pitch should work? Otherwise using 22 and 45 from the Wye and lose the straight piece might be alternative? Also does that street 90 into the 3" main work? I uploaded a close up picture of this connection. I had a sani t on this connection and the inspector wanted a Wye. Thanks very much for all the help!

Pete

Attachments

• VENT.JPG
    VENT.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 367
  • street 90.JPG
    street 90.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 491

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A sanitary tee should never be used on its back, so that was a good call by the inspector. I would roll the wyes up at least 45 degrees at the vent and at the connection to the main line. You can use whatever combination of 1/8th bends and 1/16th bends you need to make the connections, just make sure that no part of the vent falls below 45 degrees pitch.

Imagine if someone needed to rod that drain a few years down the road, and you should see why your choice of 90 degree bends is a mistake.

Last edited:

Deats

Reaction score
My town inspector passed my slab inspection and leak tests. Ready to concrete over. I followed what cacher_chick said using a Wye angled up with a 45 bend to tie in shower drain to 3" main and to run the dry vent for the shower. Thank you!
That vent goes up 8' then runs horizontal and ties into my vent that runs to the roof. Below are some pics for anyone in similar situation that may find helpful.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 23, 10 00 22 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 23, 10 00 22 PM.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 486
  • Photo Jun 23, 10 00 40 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 23, 10 00 40 PM.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 323
  • Photo Jun 23, 10 02 46 PM (1).jpg
    Photo Jun 23, 10 02 46 PM (1).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 344
  • Photo Jun 23, 10 03 17 PM (1).jpg
    Photo Jun 23, 10 03 17 PM (1).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 322

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That works!

I may have angled the shower drain so the vent take- off was closer to the wall, making it simpler to line up the vent at a high angle. An 1/8 bend off the trap arm would have lined the piping up near parallel to the wall.

Glad to see you sorted it out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks