shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

freak4fishinh

Reaction score
installing a new walkin shower i install the valve so the controls are on the outside of the shower wall so a person does not have to get wet when turning on the shower

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Bad idea. I can't find a specific code provision, but I think the inspector will give you grief. How does the person in the shower "tweak" the temperature to his liking?

I certainly think you will harm your resale value.

Solution: toe level mini spouts are used in showers for just what you want to do.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

I always install the toe tester diverter spout when I can convince the customer of its value. Otherwise put the valve inside the shower but accessible from the doorway.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In my case, 99% of the time, I'm the only one using my shower. I have a thermostatically controlled valve...it stays the desired temp year round, and all I do is turn the volume control on/off - wait the short time to purge the cold, then step in. The typical pressure balanced valve normally needs to be adjusted season to season, and beginning of the tank to the end to maintain a constant temperature. And, sometimes a small change in position changes the temperature a fair amount, so you can't always 'remember' the ideal position. Find your ideal position with a thermostatically controlled valve, and you may never need to change it.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Since it's for a custom installation line a walk-in shower, I say go for it. Usually you see valves installed outside the enclosure on high end installs; some might be able to appreciate having the valve outside the shower, while some might think it's strange because it's different.

When I install shower units with a slide bar and shower wand, I recommend that the valve be placed on one wall where the customer will get in, and the shower bar can be centered on the opposing wall, so that the customer can turn on the water from outside the enclosure and then get in once the desired water temperature has been met (I don't like the idea of toe tester spouts).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks