Shower Valves, Diverters, Code, USA

Users who are viewing this thread

FMcCracken

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm a GC in NYC. We have a great client who knows what he wants and pushes real hard to get it. The pay is pretty good so I don't mind putting in the time to give him what he asks for. Here's the latest.

He would like a two handle shower rough - one pressure balanced valve and one diverter which control a shower head and wand. Fixture manufacturer, Vola, does not make this - for the USA market. They do make a rough with configuration: thermostatic control, flow/stop valve and diverter. $$$

US Rep tells me the reason is Code. He won't cite what Code, but I suspected it's a scalding issue (ASSE 1016) and figure Vola has pretty much figured out what is allowable and what's not.

Well, I read ASSE 1016 and this available configuration doesn't seem to be guided by it.

To complicate matters, the configuration he wants was available 10 years ago, in the USA, when he did his previous apartment (I've seen it), and it is currently available in Europe. Why would it be available there and not here? Vola makes it. Why not offer it? All fixtures are shipped from Sweden per order.

He is asking that we buy it from a European Rep if the local US Rep won't provide it. Though not easy, it's not impossible. But I'm won't do it if it is truly against Code. How do I determine this - in print?

Can anyone cite a Code which would govern this unavailable design?

Frankie

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure WHAT he wants or what the Vola valve does, so we would need more information. If I am thinking correctly about what that OLD valve did, then it was probably a Pfister valve with the volume/temperature on the left and the diverter on the right, (and more than 10 years old), although Delta also made a similar one.

Last edited:

FMcCracken

Reaction score
I am not sure WHAT he wants or what the Vola valve does, so we would need more information. If I am thinking correctly about what that OLD valve did, then it was probably a Pfister valve with the volume/temperature on the left and the diverter on the right, (and more than 10 years old), although Delta also made a similar one.

Additional info:
10 year shower valve is also Vola. Still in place. Still working. This guy loves Vola.

It is just as you describe, volume/ temp on left and diverter on right, but it is Vola.

Did other manufacturers make fixtures for Vola?

Is the arrangement, as I have described, no longer Code for new installations and if so, why?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
as long as it has a pressure balancing function and temperature limiting control it can be used. The domestic ones were abandoned because too few people were using them. There is a lot of "swapping" between companies when it comes to merchandise.

FMcCracken

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a Vola rep. He was calling due to my inquiry to Vola headquarters, two days ago. Pretty impressive reply time.

Upshot -

The configuration Client wants is not available in with a pressure balance or thermostatic valve feature, and so, not to our Plumbing Code. Hence, not available.

However, we may be able to use this with an in-line pressure balance valve. Those go for about $150 and are readily available. Vola will custom manufacture the European mixing valve to fit US piping (4-6 week lead time) provided we pay for it up front, agree to no returns and sign a waiver that we know it is neither a pressure balance or thermostatic mixing valve.

Problem solved… and I learned something. Love it!

Frankie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks