Shower valve that's easiest to install in block construction

Users who are viewing this thread

bigwooo

Reaction score
I'm building a new home in Mexico. The construction is 8" block. I've been looking at shower valve assemblies and trying to decide if one or another would be easier to install in block construction. Most of the installation packets I've read only describe installation in wood frame construction. I have very little plumbing experience, but will have to learn to assure everything is installed correctly.

I'm up in the U.S. shopping for valves. I just looked a Hansgrohe valve cartridge assembly at a local plumbing outlet and installation seems pretty straight forward, however installation aside, I'm looking for quality and ease of maintenance also. It seems a lot of experienced plumbers prefer Moen however.

Do any of you with installation experience have a preferred brand of shower valve assembly for both quality, and ease of installation/securing the assembly within block construction?

Thanks.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This is one "experienced plumber" who prefers Delta, and only uses Moen when the customer supplies it. ALL valves have the same problem when used in a block wall. The block has to be cut around them, and then pieces "buttered" into place to fill the opening, and finally the tile is installed over it. But most would just install a layer of cement board over the entire wall, because of the waterproofing at the shower pan, or safety membrane.

Last edited:

bigwooo

Reaction score
This is one "experienced plumber" who prefers Delta, and only uses Moen when the customer supplies it. ALL valves have the same problem when used in a block wall. The block has to be cut around them, and then pieces "buttered" into place to fill the opening, and finally the tile is installed over it. But most would just install a layer of cement board over the entire wall, because of the waterproofing at the shower pan, or safety membrane.

Thanks for the info. Cement board definitely sounds like a cleaner installation. Wouldn't have thought of that over block.

I'm trying to find a two handle shower valve. Reason being is that water is very expensive. We have a 9000 gallon storage tank and water is trucked in, so we conserve as much as possible without being ridiculous. Reason we like the separate volume and pressure control is that it can be turned off to conserve water while soaping up, or shaving etc., and then turn back on at the same temp.

I found some Moen, Kohler and Hansgrohe cartridges with separate volume and pressure controls, but nothing in Delta. Am I missing something?

Jadnashua: I like the Grohe valve you suggested, but I've had bad luck in the past with Grohe products discoloring and the coating on the plastic finish coming off. How has yours held up?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Mine's about 6-years old, and still looks like new. Delta 1700 series stuff uses any one of three different valves in the R10000 rough-in. You can have pressure balance (one handle for temp - always get full volume), separate temp control and volume control, or volume and thermostatic control. They sell the rough-in separate from the trim, which contains the valve. I put in the middle one at my mother's earlier this year. Some of the big-box stores may sell it as a package, but generally, they come packaged individually.

CBU isn't designed to be installed without fasteners, and that's a problem into concrete block. Not approved by the manufacturers for that application. Not saying it can't be done. There are some panels that are designed for just thinset to hold them in place (on a floor, generally use fasteners on a wall): KerdiBoard and Wedi Board. These have the advantage of being able to be completely waterproof AND provide some insulation at the same time. A Kerdi shower (and Wedi, and others) are nice because the whole thing is waterproof, not water resistant like CBU. My preference is Kerdi from www.schluter.com, but the others do work as well. I think you have a little more leaway with Kerdi. Wedi relies on a sealant for the seams, and pinhole leaks are easier to have than a failed, overlapped seam like in Kerdi.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Delta 1700 series has separate temperature and volume levers so you can set the temperature and then turn it on and off as desired without changing the temperature. It is my valve of choice when given the option to select the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks