Shower Valve Size

Users who are viewing this thread

frackas

Reaction score
Remodeling an old bathroom in a smaller home and wondering about 1/2" vs 3/4" shower valves. It's an older home circa 1950 and this small bathroom is getting a makeover. I'm pretty sure the piping and existing shower valve are very old, but I'm not sure of the piping size.

So, should I buy a shower trim with a 1/2" or 3/4" valve? What would happen if I bought a 1/2" valve for 3/4" piping and vice versa?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The 3/4" will be more expensive, and if your supply pipes are not at least that size, it is probably a waste of money. A 3/4" valve is great if you have multiple showerheads/body sprays, or a really big tub that you want to fill fast. In either case, you can convert from one size to the other to handle whatever valve/supply you have. For a single showerhead, or eve a double, 1/2" should flow enough to satisfy you if the pressure is okay. If you have galvanised supply pipes in stead of copper, then at this age, you are probably looking at restricted flow. My unprofessional opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks