Shower Valve Size

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by frackas, May 21, 2005.

1. frackas

frackas New Member

Remodeling an old bathroom in a smaller home and wondering about 1/2" vs 3/4" shower valves. It's an older home circa 1950 and this small bathroom is getting a makeover. I'm pretty sure the piping and existing shower valve are very old, but I'm not sure of the piping size.

So, should I buy a shower trim with a 1/2" or 3/4" valve? What would happen if I bought a 1/2" valve for 3/4" piping and vice versa?
    Last edited: May 21, 2005
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The 3/4" will be more expensive, and if your supply pipes are not at least that size, it is probably a waste of money. A 3/4" valve is great if you have multiple showerheads/body sprays, or a really big tub that you want to fill fast. In either case, you can convert from one size to the other to handle whatever valve/supply you have. For a single showerhead, or eve a double, 1/2" should flow enough to satisfy you if the pressure is okay. If you have galvanised supply pipes in stead of copper, then at this age, you are probably looking at restricted flow. My unprofessional opinion.