Shower valve plaster ground depth.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by DaveB, Jan 6, 2007.

1. DaveB

DaveB New Member

Just had a plumber install my new Moentrol shower valve (replaced existing)...The depth of the plaster ground guide is only 1/8" beyond the framing which will make it almost 3/4" short of the finished tile surface.

If I pop out (2) supply line spacers through the drilled wall studs, I can pull forward the valve to the perfect position, but the 1/2" hot & cold supply lines will be touching the wall framing...Any issues with that?

Dave
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Figure out where the finished wall is going to be and thats where it belongs.
  3. DaveB

DaveB New Member

I know where it belongs, my question would be if it is ok for the supply lines to "touch" the stub (rub wear).
  4. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

If they're touching wood I don't see a problem... if it bother's you that they might rub then put a clamp on it or remove some of the wood with grinder or chisel.
  5. Cal

Cal New Member

Dave ,

Moen makes an extension kit for just such a problem. It has longer screws ,trim ring and handle extension.

You can install at time of trim installation . Or get the plumber back to put the valve body in at the right depth.
  6. DaveB

DaveB New Member

Doesn't that trim give ONLY 1" extension (no more / no less)? I've pulled the plumbing forward enough that it the plaster ground will be about 3/16" short of being flush w\ the finished surface...Hoping that will be OK.

Dave
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2007