Shower valve - open/closed reversed

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by slimjones, Jan 26, 2009.

1. slimjones

slimjones New Member

Sorry if this is a newbie question.

I had a shower valve installed by a professional plumber.

After tiling the shower stall myself, and installing the fixtures, I found that the cold water valve opens by turning clockwise and closes by turning counterclockwise. Exactly opposite of what I would expect. The hot water valve works correctly.

How can I correct this problem?

TIA - Slim
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some manufacturers provide the valves in left-hand and right-hand versions so the handles move symmetrically. If you want both the hot and cold to turn the same way, you probably need a different brand or style. It's more noticable on a sink...to turn the water on with lever handles, you move the levers towards the spout - one going clockwise and the other counter-clockwise...same as what you have now on your shower (if I undertood you correctly). So, I don't think it is an error, it is a design decision.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

What kind of handles do you have?

Knob, lever, cross....
  4. slimjones

slimjones New Member

They're cross handles. It's a Concinnity fixture.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Ohhh Boy!

I'm sorry to hear that you put that valve in your wall...

They went out of business a couple of years ago...
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucets

Many "aftermarket" manufacturers send ALL faucets with the stems for lever handles which rotate the way yours does. In some cases a clip can be removed and reversed to change the rotation, but in most cases the stem has to be replaced with the proper one.
  7. slimjones

slimjones New Member

re: Concinnity - what can you do ? I bought it years ago and it is a very nice fixture. It cost me some $$ and I'm going to use it until it wears out.

I'll take a closer look at the valve and see if there's a way to reverse it.

Thanks for all the advice, this really is a great forum.

-Slimjones
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

Depending on what controls the degree of rotation, removing the small "C" clip and installing it on the other side might do it.