Shower Valve Inst - Male Threaded fittings or Unions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Remodelboy

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to use unions to attach a shower valve?

In the past, I have always used threaded male copper fittings to connect copper to the shower valve. I generally solder them to short pieces of pipe and then insert them into the valve with some teflon pipe dope. When I solder up the rest of the copper lines, the heat seems far enough away so as not to cause problems with the teflon paste or valve.

Problem is, every once in a while, I get a slight (almost pinhole) leak and end up having to redo the run (since I can't tighten it as it is soldered on the other end). I just demo'd a shower stall and found that the builder used unions (brass I think). This seems like a good idea. What do you think?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check the valve to see if it will allow you to solder the pipe directly in. Many do. If not, consider using pipe dope, crank it down. The pipe dope isn't affected by nearby heat as much as teflon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks