shower valve causing leak through tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

onedayatatime

Reaction score
I was told that the shower valve is the reason for the leak that comes out of my bathtub spout. Does this sound correct? If so how would i repair? Just replace it? The Shower valve is all the way down and when i drive it up to get the water hot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If water runs when the valve is off, then the valve is leaking...most valves have repair parts available. Taking it apart to replace the needed bits depends very much on what the brand and model is. If you don't know, you could post a picture and one of the pros will be able to give you some guidance.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are many different kinds of shower valves. Is yours a single handle valve, or are there separate handles for hot and cold water? As jim mentioned, we need to know the model or at least look at a photo.

onedayatatime

Reaction score
Its a single handle made by Kohler. The house is 10 years old so i would imagine that its 10 years old also. We have hard water and no softner which i imagine lead to the parts failing after 10 years of that. I looked at it last night and the parts seemed pretty beat up. I was going to remove them and bring them to a plumbing supply in my neighborhood for a new piece. What are your thoughts on this.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I read, Kohler makes frequent changes to their valve internal designs, so taking it with you is almost essential to try to get the right replacement parts. Some manufacturers use the same guts for years on end, only changing the external parts to update designs to the current taste. If you can find exact replacement parts, you should be able to restore it to like new operation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks