shower/tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Barry J, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Barry J

Barry J New Member

Right now I've got a full size window in my shower/tub area., which I'm going to have ripped out in the next year. I've got tiled wall around the window, which I've already had to replace 7-8 of them on the right side of the window, along with some on the trim boards. Now I've noticed 4-5 of the tiles starting to loosened, if I push on them they push in as if the wall board on the other side is soggy. I know that when I go to rip that out, I'll see the wall board wet and moldy. What I want to do is put some kind of covering over those tiles on the window side, until I can get that window out of there during the summer or fall next year (2009).
    What I want to know is what to put there. I've seen this white wall panels that you would find in some public bathrooms and also, in some camper ceilings. I was thinking of using that to adhere to the tiles and then chaulk around the edges for that wall. Because when i take that window out, I plan on re-doing the outside wall and re-insulating then putting in a tub enclosure.
    But, wanted a quick fix now, so that the tiles don;t come out,.
    Any suggestions
    Thanks
    Barry
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Generally, it is never recommended to glue anything on top of ceramic tile. The reason is the adhesive use may not cure. I understand you need something on a short term basic, and I am thinking something like contact cement may do it. This would not normally be recommended, because it may bleed through to the surface and discolor your liner, but in this circumstance, that may be an acceptable side effect.

Please understand that your entire shower should be redone. Tile on top of drywall is destined to fail, and the entire shower may be in almost as bad shape as the tiles around the window.

It is a good idea to get rid of the window! Remember that building code and common sense will require a vent fan. Get a good quiet one, with a CFM which will give you at least 8 air changes per hour. The higher the better, but low sones rating ( max. 1.0) is very important also.
  3. Barry J

Barry J New Member

The plan is to take out that wall, rebuild any studs that may have rotted, put a very small window higher in the shower, for light. do a tub/shower surround around the whole tub area. I've already have a vent fan.
    like I said I've already had to replace 4-5 tiles and when I did I took out the bad section of wall board and put up cement board.
    But, just looking for a quick fix that doesn't look like crap.
    What is the glue or adhesive that they use for attaching towel racks to tile??
    Would that work
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Towel racks are not put up with glue, that I know of . Anchors are drilled into the tile.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If this room has an attic over it, consider using a tubular skylight rather than a window. I like those from www.solatube.com.
  6. Barry J

Barry J New Member

So, there is no adhesives that you know to attach that panel to my tiles???
  7. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

A simple fix would be plastic over the area & duct tape :)
    Right from the ceiling on down past the window, cover the entire area
    Not pretty but it will stop the water
    I did this at my last house until warmer weather
    I ended up having to rip the subfloor out & replace it all
    The surround was a mess as was the drywall
    If the sheetrock is that soft it will be a bigger problem then what you see

Don't wait too long to fix the entire thing
    You said 2009, but it is 2009?
    I wouldn't put window in, if you do - no wood in the window
    The sun tube is a good idea, I put one in the 2nd floor & it lets a lot of light in. So much in fact that we cover it when there is anything between a 3/4 & full moon
  8. Barry J

Barry J New Member

It's not as bad as that...I don't think I need to put plastic up just yet.
    I'll try to post some pics.
    I'll post three, one of a close up of the worse tiles, and two overall ones

Attached Files:

9. C NUMB

C NUMB Plumbing Contractor

Is that wood around the window??

You could always buy a shower curtain rod and shower curtain and put it up against the back wall
  10. Barry J

Barry J New Member

Yes, that is wood around the window