Shower /Tub Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a leak in my Shower. I can run the water in the tub with no issues but once I pull the knob on the tub spout I get water leaking out from where the tub meets the wall. That tells me the leak is at or above the spout.

How is the water diverted? Is there a valve at the spout that diverts it or is it located farther up?

I plan to open the wall from the other side as the shower is tile and the back side of the wall is drywall and inside a closet so that would be less work after the fix. Can this kind of leak be fixed from the backside? I'd prefer not to destroy the tile.

I plan to open the wall up as high as the spout and if that is not the area go up to the faucet. I'm hoping the leak is not any higher than the faucet because I get in to shelving up that high.

Plan is to hire a plumber to make the repair once I identify / expose the leak.

Any advice is appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Remove the tub spout first before you get too involved with this. Most of the time, replacing the diverter tub spout is all that's needed.
hj and I like the Delta replacement spout for two reasons. You can either install using pipe nipples, or it can be soldered on if you have a 1/2" copper pipe from the wall.
Sometimes a spout will have a sealing washer that has failed. Then when you pull the diverter up, that puts water under pressure to force it up to the shower head. That's when it leaks.

Phillbo

Reaction score
What is the process for removing the spout. Mine has the diverter handle that pulls out horizontally.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Mine has the diverter handle that pulls out horizontally.
Look beneath (maybe with a mirror) to see if you can see a screw head near the wall. I suggest you post a clear photo if you don't see that screw and you have doubts. If there is no screw, the whole spout gets turned CCW generally; that's how the one that I changed worked.. A screwdriver into the spout provides a handle for turning if you need some leverage. I am not a plumber.

Phillbo

Reaction score
I got it off. It has a set screw and no threads. The pipe extends about 1 3/4" from the tile surface. I'll get a new one and see if that was the issue.

Really appreciate the help on this site.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Issue solved. Thanks guys. That was the easiest plumbing issue I have ever seen. Other than the design of putting the set screw on the bottom of the new spout as apposed to the side on the old one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks