shower/tub leak

Users who are viewing this thread

RancherHorse

Reaction score
First time post;
Have a single valve shower with a tub spout. For a while the spout has dripped constantly with the diverter stem down and shower/tub is off. The plumber replaced the cartridge, still leaks. The shower is upstairs directly above another bath/shower below. When the diverter stem is not down after taking a shower, I have a leak that shows up on the floor adjacent to the tub/shower (backside) and also will leak through the ceiling below. So I cut access to the shower valve from the backside and did not see large water stains, etc. However, if you don not push down the diverter on the tub spout after a shower it drips as evidenced by the water stains on the ceiling below. Need some help so I am knowledgeable to discuss with plumber to repair

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's maybe a 4' column of water trapped in the riser to the shower head when the diverter doesn't open, and it can take awhile for it all to leak out. Your problem may not be related at all to the valve or diverter. If the valve body somehow got scratched or the O-rings damaged during installation, a new cartridge may not fix the problem, if it is the valve. more common leaks in a tub/shower are caused when the tub isn't level and water pools, dripping either around or over the tiling lip. Now, it's possible, if they used a drop-in tub, it doesn't have a tiling flange, but they're there on most.

Other sources that happen are a crack in the el where the shower arm screws in, or where the tub spout attaches (which is below the valve, and may not show at the valve level). It's also possible that the tub shoe, where the drain attaches, or if the tub often gets pretty full, the gasket at the overflow. If the caulk at the tub/wall junction has failed, and you get a concentrated shower spray on it, it can force water over the tiling flange.

So, you need to do some investigation.

RancherHorse

Reaction score
Took your advice and investigated some more and after removing more drywall on the backside which exposed more of the riser (copper pipe) I found a pinhole leak in the riser pipe about a foot above the tub spout. The angle of the leak under pressure happens to shoot to the backside of the cement board and drips through the opening for the drain between the upstairs and downstairs. That is where the water is coming from in the bath directly below. I will have the plumber cut the pinhole out and replace that section of copper tubing. I also will have the valve assembly which is about 12 years old changed out while the wall is open. That should resolve the problem and start out with new stuff. Thanks for the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan...I might consider rather than a patch, replace that full piece of pipe. Pinholes can happen because of a defect, but they also can be because the pipe rubbed on something. Unless you can see why, I'd feel better about replace, rather than patch. See what the plumber says while he is there. But, if it all looks good, no green spots or other evidence of corrosion, it may not be an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks