Shower Trim Sealant or no Sealant?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JebStuart, Jun 12, 2007.

1. JebStuart

JebStuart New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Hi This is my first post . I am just about to trim my new tile shower control valve. There is a foam rubber strip on the main trim and was wondering if silicone of plumbers putty should also be used. It is a 1 handle price pfister .

I also have a diverter valve and a separte hand held that have no seal on them
    Should I seal them with putty or silicone.

What do the pros do?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    On the one with the gasket, that should be sufficient. You could buy some weatherstripping and do the same with the others. Silicon is a pain if you ever need to remove it. Caulk might be okay if it isn't a natural stone, since the oil it in could stain things. Normally, that part of the shower isn't really all that wet.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement