shower to tub combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Allison Forster

Reaction score
I have a shower in the master bath in a property I am purchasing. The shower measures 57" by 44". I really need to put a tub in the space, is it possible? There is a closet that backs up to the shower area. Thanks for any information you can give me. Allison

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the tile walls are really thick, then it may be "easy", otherwise you have to do something to make the space 60" wide. Anything is possible with enough time and money.

Reaction score
If one of the walls on the ends of the 57" are an adjacent closet, tear out those studs too and rebuild the wall.

My guess you're going to end up with either a new shower or a new tub in that space. Do the demolition, gut everything out, and then see what kind of space you have to work with.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a molded shower pan and tile is 57" then you may have a 60" space now. Normally you have backer board, and tile which I have seen take up to 1.5" on each end.
The make molded pans in 60", 54", 48", 42", 36", 32"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The rough-in tub dimensions are from stud wall to stud wall...you wont' know until you gut things. But, with a closet at one end, it sounds like you should be able to make it all work, regardless. Personally, when I remodeled my bathroom, I moved things around and put in a 6' tub and would have really liked a 6'6" one, but didn't want to move the walls around, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks