Shower temp fluctuates hot and cold

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What do you use to heat your water? The answer would depend on that.

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
You could install a pressure balanced shower valve. That has been the code for about twenty years now.
It will make a huge difference. I know what you mean though. You're in the shower and some darn fool is in the kitchen working the faucet there, and there you are with wet hair and it gets cold, then hot, then cold and hey! Knock it off in there!

Josh R

Reaction score
Could a pressure balanced shower valve be installed without tearing into the wall? Wondering if I can update my shower's fixtures and also add this to it to prevent the temperature fluctuations.

I have a standard water heater and I am in a condo (not on a well)

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a closet on the other side of that wall the shower is on? Maybe there is already an access panel in there. If not, a closet often a good place to add an access panel.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you don't already have an expansion tank on your water heater, adding one will help. It adds a 2 gallon buffer no water pressure.

Or you can consider changing out the shower valve, though this is a lot more work. Here is one I replaced in a condo for a homeowner.

Moen TL2368EP with Posi-Temp

tl2368ep_repair_5.jpg

This was what I found when I got there.

delta_shower_old.jpg

I enlarged the hole, and installed a new Moen valve.

tl2368ep_repair_2.jpg

Josh R

Reaction score
Ok I will check for the expansion tank thanks. And as far as the pictures you sent it, seems as if you can install it and then buy a bigger plate to cover it up?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most manufacturers make those extra plates...depending on who, they're called either remodel plates or restoration plates (or some other). They come in different finishes and shapes. The one that comes with the valve goes on top of the remodel one.

Josh R

Reaction score
I have a Moen Standard valve that features a pull on/push off operation and turns left and right for hot and cold.
This I believe is the original valve in both my showers upstairs. Would replacing the catridge help with the issue of the temperature fluctuating when the control knob is not moved? I showered this morning with no other running water in the house and still had some variations in the temperature.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
[QUOTE="Josh R, post: 511800, member: 76195" I showered this morning with no other running water in the house and still had some variations in the temperature.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes there is stuff in the lines that can cause issues. On one Moen valve that changed temperature on me, I opened the hot side to the valve and found a small plastic ball, most likely from the water heater heat trap nipple. It was bouncing back and forth inside the line.

Moen has two valves that are push-pull. One being the standard non-balanced, and one being the balanced Moentrol valve. The Moentrol has the screws holding the plate at 2 and 8, the standard at 5 and 7.

A tankless water heater can vary some if the adjustment on the knob is changed. It takes a little while for the controls on the tankless to adjust.

An expansion tank cushions things a bit. I found that with an expansion tank anywhere in the system, that temperature didn't change as quickly.
A new cartridge never hurts. It also makes it easier to pull the knob on and off.

Josh R

Reaction score
Mine is at 5 and 7 - standard.

I do have an expansion tank.

The knob pulls and pushes fine and turns without issue.

Just wondered if a cartridge would help in anyway with the temperature not being consistent.

I have a standard water heater from what I can tell.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can replace that with a pressure balance valve, or a thermostatic valve.
In my mothers place I replace all the old single handle valves with pressure balance. Standing in a 36x36 shower with someone working the kitchen faucet was a little nuts.

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a Moen Standard valve that features a pull on/push off operation and turns left and right for hot and cold.
This I believe is the original valve in both my showers upstairs. Would replacing the catridge help with the issue of the temperature fluctuating when the control knob is not moved? I showered this morning with no other running water in the house and still had some variations in the temperature.
Better off with a MOENTROL than positemp faucet as you are already used to the old faucet configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks