Shower Suddenly Stopped Working

Users who are viewing this thread

Galactus

Reaction score
After my shower this morning, I heard dripping water, so I turned the shower handle farther to the right to stop the dripping. But it didn't stop. I turned it to the left, but there was no water flow. I had just gotten out of the shower two minutes earlier, and now I can't turn on the faucet or shower at all! But the water keeps dripping out. If I try to plug the faucet, the dripping immediately comes out the shower head.

It is a Moen single-handled faucet, the type that looks like a teardrop.

I really need to fix this quickly, because water is being wasted, and we obviously need to be able to shower. I have never tried to repair a shower before, so please don't get too technical on me.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Sounds like the stop in the handle broke. Remove the insert in the handle to expose the screw that holds the handle on. The big box stores should have a replacement.

John

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but if it's a single handle Moen with the teardrop-shaped handle, don't you pull the handle out to turn the water on, and push in to shut it off?

If so, that's the style I have. I did have to replace the cartridge on mine once as it was filled with hard water deposits.

Galactus

Reaction score
The plastic handle broke, and there's a little cap I didn't know about, that you have to pry off, and then you can unscrew the whole thing. I thought I somehow had to pry off the entire handle, and I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Now I just have to get another handle. Actually I'm relieved that it's something so simple.

Thank you for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks