shower stall faucet and door requirements

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by n2learning, Jul 3, 2010.

1. n2learning

n2learning New Member

Building a basement bathroom that will include a 36" x 36" stand up shower.
    Can the shower faucet face the door of the shower entry?

I read somewhere that this is NOT allowed. I wanted to get confirmation before I proceed with my design options.

The door entry will probably just be a simple curtain rod, not a glass door.

Thanks,
    DK
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There are requirements on total size, and minimum door width, but I don't think there are restrictions on where the showerhead or valve are. There are convenience issues, but I don't think there are code ones.
  3. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

You can have the valve anywhere you want, but the shower head can not face out the entrance way.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I do not find anything in the plumbing code, maybe it is there. It might be a building code; mainly it is just not a great idea because the shower doors are typically not designed to handle continuos direct water flow.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Having the shower head face the opening is the worst idea I've seen in practice.

1) Water will be all over the floor
    2) When ever you turn the shower on, you won't be able to duck the cold water that comes out first.
    3) When you get tired of the above two items, you will find out that they don't really make fittings to move the shower head, though you could use a hand shower and hose.
    I've only seen it done a few times, and that's normally when called out to change it.

A curtain rod with curtain isn't going to help much.
  6. n2learning

n2learning New Member

Thanks for the replies, especially Terry's point 1 and 2.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

As to point #2, in a 36" shower you won't be able to avoid the cold water unless you turn the faucet on before you enter it, and THAT is when you will discover that the shower head spraying against the shower curtain, or even a swinging door, was a TERRIBLE idea.
  8. Denzel Parker

Denzel Parker New Member

9. trinitony

trinitony New Member

Thank you - was about to ask the same question.