Shower squeals then water flow stops - Moen 3301 Thermostatic Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

pm1961

Reaction score
Hi,

We have recently encountered a problem with our shower. A high pitched squeal then the water flow completely stops. We then return the handle to the "off" position and turn the water back on. Flow will return along with the squeal. As we gradually increase water flow the squeal continues until the water flow again stops.

We have a Moen 3301 thermostatic tub/shower valve in a stand-up shower (i.e. the valve's tub outlet is capped).

I have removed the two check valves and screens (for hot and cold water) and verified the check valves are functioning and the screens are clean. Whether the temperature setting on the valve is set to full cold, full hot, or at a balanced setting water will flow, squeal and stop.

I am hoping I can resolve this without having to replace the whole valve as the previous house owner completely tiled it in so there's no access unless we cut in through the wall to gain full access to the valve.

pm1961

Reaction score
You either end to replace the cartridge or live with the squeal.
Thanks for the reply. Moen uses the term "cartridge" on three different parts for this valve. (1) Thermostatic Cartridge, (2) Check Valve Cartridges (one for cold, one for hot), and (3) the Flow Cartridge.

I am leaning toward the Flow Cartridge as being the problem that needs to be replaced. Is that also what you meant?

Hudson Reed Dan

Reaction score
Website
usa.hudsonreed.com
I work for Hudson Reed, our products are different than Moens, but still have the same thermostatic/flow cartridge set up, if you described this problem to me about our product, I'd say the problem was with your thermostatic cartidge.

This is because the thermostatic cartidge is designed to shut off the flow if the temperature changes too quick or above a certain point. Sometimes they can malfunction and stop the flow at a normal temperature, often making a noise like a whistle or clunk depending on the valve set up.

You should be able to replace it without ripping everything out as well.

pm1961

Reaction score
I work for Hudson Reed, our products are different than Moens, but still have the same thermostatic/flow cartridge set up, if you described this problem to me about our product, I'd say the problem was with your thermostatic cartidge.

This is because the thermostatic cartidge is designed to shut off the flow if the temperature changes too quick or above a certain point. Sometimes they can malfunction and stop the flow at a normal temperature, often making a noise like a whistle or clunk depending on the valve set up.

You should be able to replace it without ripping everything out as well.

Thank you Hudson. At this point I've replaced the flow cartridge (a $15 fix) and the problem appears to have resolved. We have flow and quiet. I'm hoping that's the end of it because this particular valve has been discontinued and a replacement Thermostatic cartridge is terribly expensive (+$200). In fact through on-line searches I've discovered I can purchase an entire valve (new in box) for less than that and strip out the cartridges as needed if the problems persists.

For now I'll enjoy the return to quiet water flow and consider the problem resolved for purposes of this thread. Thank you all for your input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks