Shower spout diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

Becky Hasselbring

Reaction score
My shower spout /diverter had a problem with engaging the diverter. I am trying to replace it and it is not a"universal" size. I have been to plumbing supply and basically they tell me I'll have to change the piping which would require taking out a wall. Anyone know how to find the size I need. How are the measurements taken so I can get the right size. The pin will not pull the plastic diverter up. Is this replaceable. I am trying to avoid a huge bill for an item that sells for $12. Help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All hardware stores carry new tub spouts with diverters. They either thread on or they are slip fits. It would be rare that a wall would need to be opened.
How about a picture, 800 pixels or less.

Becky Hasselbring

Reaction score
All hardware stores carry new tub spouts with diverters. They either thread on or they are slip fits. It would be rare that a wall would need to be opened.
How about a picture, 800 pixels or less.
One would think. It has to do with the connection. My pipe comes out about 3 inches. I already replaced the other one in my house so I am not making this up. The other one is able to be added with the flange inside. This was needs to be shorter

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 249

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a "front end threaded tub spout" or it can easily be adapted to work with other spouts.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An easy alternative would be to cut off the threaded adapter and use a push-on spout. It has O-rings inside to seal, and then you tighten a setscrew to hold it in place. Just don't tighten it too much, as that can dimple the pipe, and make sealing the next one (they don't last forever) more difficult, especially if that dimple ends up being where the O-rings are on the new one. Some Delta spouts will thread onto that with an adapter, then you screw the spout onto the adapter.

Reach4

Reaction score
My pipe comes out about 3 inches.
You wan't to measure the distance, rather than estimating. You still might end up cutting off that adapter, but first check to see if your pipe does not extend out 3-13/16.

Becky Hasselbring

Reaction score
Thanks all cutting the pipe will require a plumber. If the person that asked if was 3 and 3/16 will tell me where to buy that spout it would be appreciated. I have been to two plumbing supply Home Depot Sunderland and called another pulling supply to no avail but cutting the pipe or other option. Obviously I am not a plumber but I may have to just take baths.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have 1/2" copper coming out with a male adapter. That's a very simple fix.
A slip spout would work there. Just cut back behind the male adapter for that. I would pick up the spout first to see what you need.

Becky Hasselbring

Reaction score
It needs to be longer but when I mentioned adding the guy at the plumbing supply. It would then be too long. I would have to cut back to the wall. To make it like the other I had replaced.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It needs to be longer but when I mentioned adding the guy at the plumbing supply. It would then be too long. I would have to cut back to the wall. To make it like the other I had replaced.

NO NO NO
You have plenty of length there for a slip spout already. If I were there, I would have pulled a spout from the truck, and had it installed while you were still finding the light swtich for me.

moen-tub-spout-installation.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most people can use a hacksaw. IF the pipe is long enough to use a tubing cutter, that will give a cleaner cut and not require some sanding or filing to clean the end up so it won't damage the O-rings of the slip-on spout.

As an alternative, as I said, some of the Delta spouts come with this adapter and that would just screw onto the existing fitting

http://www.deltafaucet.com/repairparts/details/rp12307.html

and then, you screw the spout onto it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks