Shower Spa balancing loop

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by cruiser56, May 19, 2013.

1. cruiser56

cruiser56 New Member

I am creating a shower spa that will have a hand held, rain head and 4 body sprays. I know I need a balancing loop, but my question is I am running 3/4" line as supply but the divrter delta r11000 and mixer only have 1/2" connections. Do I create my loop with 1/2" OR 3/4"? Also my house is all done in Pex should I make my loop from pex or copper?

Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

First thing is to add up the volume from the flows of each thing that will be running at the same time and determine if the 1/2" version of the valve can handle it at all. I do not think 1/2" pex would supply enough volume for much more than one thing at once, maybe a couple. A 1/2" pex line can handle maybe 5-6gpm if you're lucky, expect less, depending on pressure and how many fittings and type you've used. IOW, I think you'll be disappointed if everything needs to run at once with a 1/2" valve; the 3/4" pex supply line will help, but it may not be enough.
  3. cruiser56

cruiser56 New Member

I m not planning on running it all at once maybe the rain shower or hand held and then the 4 body sprays. Im sure one of the kids will try all at once though. So does it help to make my loop out of 3/4 copper even though the valves are 1/2 connections, or do I just make loop out of 1/2 copper
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Without knowing the flow rate of the devices you want to run...there's no way to tell if that valve you have will work well at all. A showerhead is typically 2.5gpm, a body spray can be anywhere from .5 to 2gpm or more. Four of them exceeds the capability of a 1/2" supply for decent performance forgetting about a shower head as well. So, depends...you need the specs for the devices, then decide. You may need a different valve altogether.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

My experience has been that installing them WITHOUT a loop is a more direct route and uses less material, therefore it gives as good, if not better, results. I have never installed a balancing loop, except when the heads were spaced on different walls and far apart. Connect to the "tub" port of the valve to get the maximum flow.