shower shutoff valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

harveystir

Reaction score
I am just starting a shower project. It will be done with Kerdi/Tile and a I bought a shower panel with massage jets. The massage panel hooks up with stainless steel braided hose with 1/2" threaded fittings. I was thinking of putting an OxBox
http://www.siouxchief.com/Resource_/ProductMedia/211/Ox Box Brochure 1-08.pdf
lavatory outlet behind where the shower panel will hang so that I would have an easy way to do the plumbing... turn the water back on to the upstairs... and have plenty of time to finish the remodel (at the moment I have to turn the water off to the only other working shower in order to work on it). There is a tiled shower on the other side of the wall so I can't easily make an access panel.

My question is whether or not the valves in the OxBox would significantly reduce the water flow once everything is done. The shower panel does have the option to use the massage jets at the same time as the showerhead and the handheld... though I highly doubt I would ever use more than two at a time. I could also use the washing machine box, I will need a fitting adapter either way (one is 3/8" and the other is 3/4"). It doesn't really look to me like the actual opening for water flow is any bigger in the washing machine valves than the lav valves.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

If you are using the shower panel I think you are referring to, it is not wide enough to hide either box. Just extend the pipes out of the wall at the point called for by the specifications and install nipples with caps to seal them off.

harveystir

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Width isn't an issue. The shower panel is over 8" wide and although I don't see a width listed on the mfg website for the box it doesn't appear to be more than about 4"-5" wide at the most. One of the really attractive things about the outlet box is my total confidence in my ability to plumb it in myself. While I consider myself handy, plumbing isn't something that I have any experience with beyond installing shutoff valves under the bathroom sinks.

My plan for the plumbing was to order the box with the press fitting connection and use sharkbite couplers and a length of pex to make the connections. This will also allow me to painlessly move the shower over to the center of the wall (one stud bay over). I admit the thought of doing the required plumbing in copper is a bit intimidating. I also considered doing it with cpvc (connecting to the copper with sharkbite couplers) as I do have some experience working with pvc.

I also liked the built-in hammer arresters... don't know that I truly need them, but they couldn't hurt either.

The only thing that really concerned me was the thought that just passing through the included valves might cause the water pressure in the shower to drop off.

I'm not completely intimidated by your suggested method... in fact that may be the way I decide to do it anyway... I'm just exploring an alternative that on the surface at least seems like it would save me some time and stress.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks