Shower rough in - questions about valves...

Users who are viewing this thread

DuncaMX

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm roughing in a shower in the basement for my son to use in the future. As he has a lower leg prosthetic I am trying to set up a regular shower and handshower combination.

In speaking to the plumbing supply they stated all I need to do before drywalling etc is to install two Moen 62320 valves.

I have the valves now...I have the layout done. I presume, since they have two inlets and two outlets that I need to do the following:

Valve 1: Connect hot and cold lines, run to second valve off 1st outlet, cap 2nd outlet.

Valve 2: One inlet takes water supply from prior valve, one outlet to shower, one outlet to handshower, cap second inlet.

Is this correct? Its really the second valve that is in question as I was told this is to be used as a diverter and I want to make sure I am hooking up the lines to the right inlet/outlets on the valve....

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Your piping layout doesn't make any sense to me if I am understanding it correctly.

I fail to see why you would need two separate valves in the first place. You either need a regular shower valve with a diverter control knob to switch between the regular showerhead and the heandheld, or you can just mount a hand held unit (perhaps on a sliding bar) and just have one setup.

DuncaMX

Reaction score
Hmmm...okay maybe this is easier.

The shower is about 66 inches long long and 3 feet deep, with a bench so my son will be able to sit down in it. As such I want to put in a single shower head for regular use, and a handheld shower for use when sitting on the bench. The plan suggests that the bench is a long ways off from the showerhead, as such we decided to put in a second handshower for use when sitting on the bench.

I am trying to place the handheld on a bar roughly halfway through the shower, closer to the bench, so that as he grows he will be able to sit down in the shower (as he only has one leg) and will be able to clean up that way with the handheld shower.

When i drew it out at the plumbing supply they said I needed two valves, and since I am using Moen hardware, they said two 62320 (positemp) valves. I had presumed all I needed was the regular valve and a diverter valve, which I expected to look like a "T". Instead, what they told me is I need to buy two moen valves and install them in line- one to control the water temp and flow, and one to control which of the two showerheads the water is flowing to.

Is this inaccurate? To be brutally honest it seemed like an excessively expensive valve for a glorified "t" junction....Mind you I would rather do it right than have to rip it all open later...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Put one low handheld glide rail near the bench, and another high one by the shower valve. Install the water outlet about 48" above the floor somewhere between them and just alternate the shower head between them depending on which one is being used. Otherwise you need a single shower valve and a multiport diverter to switch between them. Two identical valves would not do it.

DuncaMX

Reaction score
Ahhhh.

Well thats not ideal, since I bought the two valves they told me to and soldered connectors for my pex already.

Need a different valve then! Thanks!

DuncaMX

Reaction score
And the final solution is....two separate showers. More water flow.

Thanks for the help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Really?

quote; And the final solution is....two separate showers. More water flow.

And how does that figure, unless someone is using BOTH units at the same time, and even then the flow is regulated by the shower head NOT the shower valve. One valve will deliver more than enough water for two heads. TWO valves will deliver EXACTLY the same amount to those two heads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks