Shower rough in mystery plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

JGW

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm renovating a bathroom and have to re-do the shower/tub plumbing as I'm replacing a two-handle set with a single handle mixing valve. When I opened up the wall I expected to find some pretty basic plumbing but instead found this (see attached picture). What are those extra stacks (for lack of a better word) for , and am I OK to tear it all out down to where the 1/2 inch pipes stub through the floor? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• shower rough in.jpg
    shower rough in.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 269

Reach4

Reaction score
What are those extra stacks (for lack of a better word) for
Those are water hammer arrestors. Ideally they will contain air when you drain the plumbing and serve as a shock absorber for water. The newer versions have pistons to separate the air from the water to prevent the air from dissolving away.

The top cross piece looks like a mechanical strut to secure those pipes in place. It was made with available scrap.

JGW

Reaction score
Those are water hammer arrestors. Ideally they will contain air when you drain the plumbing and serve as a shock absorber for water. The newer versions have pistons to separate the air from the water to prevent the air from dissolving away.

The top cross piece looks like a mechanical strut to secure those pipes in place. It was made with available scrap.
Yes, it's just scrap soldered in place as a support. So I should be Ok to remove everything? Had professionals replumb another bathroom in my house and they didn't do anything like that. Water hammer perhaps not a problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, it's just scrap soldered in place as a support. So I should be Ok to remove everything? Had professionals replumb another bathroom in my house and they didn't do anything like that. Water hammer perhaps not a problem.
If you remove the existing arrestors, you can replace them with the more modern version:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks