Shower Retrofit Project: Drain and Venting Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Tacitus

Reaction score
Hi guys!

This is my first post, I've been lurking around the forum for some time as I've been planning my bathroom remodel. Some background info on the project: I'm turning a closet that was adjacent to my 1/2 bath into a shower. Built in the late 60's, the house is a 1 story ranch on a slab. There are two toilets, two sinks, and an existing shower all upstream of where I tapped into the main drain for the shower. I'm going to need to install a vent between the shower P-trap and the main drain connection so the shower P-trap does not get sucked dry whenever I flush the toilet. My questions are:

1) Will a 1.5" vent pipe for the shower be sufficient, or should I match the 2" drain that I have for the shower drain?

2) When I run the vent pipe up through the wet wall, what is the best way to support the cast iron vent stack I want to tie into?

3) I'm going to have to angle the shower vent underground so I can get it to come up through the wet wall, are there any limits on how tight the angles for the vent pipes can be? I've seen diagrams for loop vent on kitchen islands that are pretty convoluted, so I assume a couple 45 degree turns should be fine.

Attached are pictures of the shower drain with covered stub outs for the the vent and the shower drain, as well as the wall in which I'm going to need to run the vent.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 346

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 1.-1/2" vent is enough for that.
A vent at a 45 is considered vertical.
You have quite a bit of depth there, so you may want to look at installing the trap arm higher, which lets you move some fittings below it to reposition it. Either move the vent, or move the piping below.
You can add the revent in the attic, or go out on it's own. If you cut the cast, you have to support it anyway you can before the cut. How? Sometimes I've use pipe clamps, or at the least some sort of blocking or strapping.

Tacitus

Reaction score
You have quite a bit of depth there, so you may want to look at installing the trap arm higher, which lets you move some fittings below it to reposition it. Either move the vent, or move the piping below.

If I move the trap higher it seems like it would put me in the no-go zone where the drain is steeper than 1/4" per foot but less than 45 degrees. I think I may be misunderstanding you. Thanks for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks