Shower remodel-3/4" or 1/2" copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

walker lutz

Reaction score
Hi I am in the process of remodeling my shower and have already received some great advice on here figuring out my drain situation.

I am planning on installing a shower wand as well as a rain head and will have a separate thermostatic valve for each so I have the option of running them both at the same time. The bathroom in on the second floor and has a 3/4 in line supplying the bathroom, it then t's off to supply the bathtub lav, and toilet.

My question is: would it be worth running 3/4" the extra 8 feet to the shower or should I just tie into the 1/2" bathtub supply line (which would only be a 3' run of 1/2"? I haven't tested my pressure yet but it seems good. I filled up a bucket in the tub and figured that I am getting about 12 gpm of flow. Would the 3/4 vs the 1/2" make a noticeable difference in the pressure?

Flapper

Reaction score
The showers are limited to only 2.5GPM or less, right? So at most you'd be using 5 GPM. If so then 1/2 should be ideal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't see the allure of a rain head...since it's still limited in the volume by Federal regulations, spreading that limited water out across a large area means you can't rinse off anywhere as easily as with a 'normal' head.

As said, though, for a single showerhead, 1/2" pipe is fine. If you were worried, you could run two separate taps off of the 3/4" line, rather than splitting the 1/2" line, run two 1/2" lines from the 3/4", but it should not be necessary. The copper tubing organization recommends not designing anything for more than 5fps of flow for hot water, and that's 4gpm in 1/2" copper. Throw in, you normally don't run 100% hot, and you should have plenty for two heads off of one 1/2" line, but in case you decide you want to add another head or body sprays, more doesn't hurt. A larger pipe will take longer to flush once it cools off.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Do not tie into the 1/2 inch bath tub waterline. That 1/2 inch pipe is already maxed out serving a bathtub which is rated at 4 water fixture units, due to its unrestricted spout. Run 1/2 inch to your shower from the 3/4 inch pipe. Your shower is rated at 2 water fixture units per head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks