Shower Pressure on Hot & Integral Stops

Users who are viewing this thread

popnbrown

Reaction score
I've started to notice that the pressure of water from my shower head when it's hot water gradually decreases. It stays "good" for about a minute and a half then reduces pretty drastically.

I've been told by my condo maintenance that the shower cartridge likely needs to be replaced and suggested I call a plumber. I wanted to poke around a bit myself, instead of spending money on a plumber.

Since I'm in a condo I can't turn off the main water, and I do have integral stops going to my shower cartridge. However, I spent about 30 minutes turning them and they seem to go in, but continue to be turnable. Twisting the shower catridge also releases water through the spout, which to me indicates that the stops aren't fully turned.

So two questions:
a) is the diagnosis on the shower cartridge right? Should I check something else?
b) How do I know when the integral stops are tightened? How long does it take to tighten them and am I even doing it right? (just using a minus screwdriver to go at them)

-Sravan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If they do not "stop" turning then they should be "1/4 turn" valve which are off when the slots are 90 degrees from the direction of the pipe, which usually means the slot is vertical/up and down.

popnbrown

Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you.

Due to my turning they're in quite a bit than when they were originally. So they have gone "into" the pipe. Should I turn them back so they come out?

Also..turns out that it was something to do with the stops or me pulling on the cartridge for a bit. The hot water showerhead pressure issue seems to be solved (I got sick of not showering for more than a day).

-Sravan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/4-turn valves typically do not screw in or out, they just rotate. If the valves you turned actually moved in, and did not seal, the seal may be bad - BUT, they should eventually bottom out if they are that type.

popnbrown

Reaction score
This is strange, I can get pictures to show them when I get home but the certainly seemed to screw in. Although the screw in didn't do anything, turning them 90 degrees to the pipe did do something.

Are there 1/4-turn valves that CAN bottom out?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/4-turn valves may have a stop, but there is no screw mechanism on them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks