Shower Pan Replacement In Condo

Users who are viewing this thread

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
I am looking to replace a shower pan in my third floor condo as part of a bathroom remodel. The new pan will be two inches larger than the current (38 inches vs 36) but the drain location is the same. The new pan is:

DreamLine DLT-2038380 SlimLine Neo Shower Base

I do not have access from underneath to replace the pan and drain. I have a couple of questions related to this work:

1. Can it be done purely from above?
2. Level of complexity for removal of old pan and reinstall of new?
3. Type of drain to use with the install? (Links would be helpful)

Thanks guys for any input

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 439
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 587

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have wood floors, you should be able to do it from above.
If it's lightweight concrete over wood, still a yes.
If the floors are prestressed concrete, it gets harder. Then maybe no.
To remove the old pan, I sometimes cut around the drain with a sawzal.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
OK ?? and it fits in same space and the drains the same axis ! Call me nutz...

surely youve done your math....

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
Can anyone provide a recommend replacement drain type I should purchase based on the pan type and the fact I do not have access from below? I removed the tile in the bathroom and confirmed it is just a wood subfloor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Have you purchased the new pan? There are lots of ways to do this with a tiled pan and various drains. Installed properly, it would last indefinitely until you decided you wanted to remodel. The preformed, tile-less pans tend to start to look funky in a few years IMHO. If not set properly, they can flex and get stress cracks, and that can cause some discoloration prior to it actually failing. Any flex also puts lots more strain on the seal to the drain, and that can fail.

Many of the drains for the preformed pans rely on a compression fit. If you end up with one that can be cemented in place, you only get one chance to do it right since you'd never get it back up again. This means getting things perfectly level all in the same time it takes for the solvent welding cement to set...seconds...it can be daunting. Most of that problem goes away if you make a tiled shower pan. Sorry, I do not have much experience with the drains available for that type of pan. Someone else will hopefully come up with something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks