shower pan liner preslope

Users who are viewing this thread

patelhe

Reaction score
I have installed a preslope for my pvc liner pan. When I drain it, there are two areas near the drain that a puddling about 1/8" deep. Unfortunately, the durock has already been placed on the walls with corner beads, etc and I can not peel back the shower liner without a lot of extra work. Is there another way to fill in the low spots with mortar that is effective, like cutting my liner and repatching it. Can I just redgard the next mud deck layer instead?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pat, the area between the finish surface of the tile, and the shower liner material is a swamp. Moisture migrating down through the grout into the sloped cement body of the installation will work its way down the drain through the weep holes around the 3-piece shower drain. If it pleases you, you could maintain a vigorous regimen of waterproofing the grout of the tile floor, but there's no way to tell if that is worthwhile. Probably not worth the effort. After all is said and done, it's the waterproof liner that makes it all work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Best to fix it right so that the waterproof layer is properly sloped.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Could your weep holes be blocked? If you could show me a picture there might be way to glue overtop a little patch of maybe one or two plys of the liner.

You could switch to a topical installation and use something like the NobleFlex Flashing as a starting point.

You might find the linear was never glued to the clamping ring and maybe by removing the top you could get a little sand under the low spot...

Might be possible to crease the linear a bit as well.

I see you asked the same question on another forum. Now what are you going to do?

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
attachment.php

I find it funny that the poster of this picture and discussion has asked her question on two forums. Followed a tip from me - but then chooses to ask the follow up on the forum that gave her jack squat in advice.

Odd.

I bet the other guys tell her to rip it out and build a Kerdi Shower. Maybe this insane volume of water warrants a new Durock Shower Pan! LOL

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
"OK. How about I just lay down the next mud deck using the divot method and seal it with a liquid waterproofing membrane. This way not water should penetrate my last mud deck to even worry about the vinyl liner holding water.

I don't want any mold/odors etc from the water pooling in the vinyl liner.
" - Hetal

So this question was just skirted. Of course she could cut out the liner. Do a divot style mud bed and use Red Gard. There would be a long cure time but totally possible. Not sure why this question was skirted really. Maybe because Custom Building Products does not sponsor that forum like Schluter and Mapei.

attachment.php

Prepping for a Red Gard divot style install.

"You either live with what you've got or remove the liner and re-do your pre-slope. I would not consider cutting and patching the liner material.

My opinion; worth price charged.
" - CX

Live with it. Why. These liners are designed to be seamed. They are 30 mil's thick. This lady had a little puddle.... Now it's almost gone with the patch she tried.

I agree with the last five words in the quote above.

Weep+Hole+Test+ten+minutes.jpg

Now this is a do over. The shower holding gallons of water.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks