Shower Pan Leak

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by nmnunna32, Sep 23, 2011.

1. nmnunna32

nmnunna32 New Member

I have a fiberglass shower pan in my basement shower which is leaking. After much detection, I found that the leak is from the joint that connects the drain to the pan. I have attached a picture.

I wonder if there is some liquid sealent that I can pour into the joint which will eventually seal the joint. I cannot take the drain out with ripping out the shower. The original drain, I believe, is screwed from the bottom of the pan before installing the pan. I do not have access to the bottom of the pan with out removing the pan.

I wonder if there is an easy fix for this...

leak.jpg
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The leak is probably between the pan and the drain fitting. A competent plumber would be able to remove it and install a "Wing Tite" drain fitting without damaging the shower pan or the downstairs ceiling. It will take a couple of hours however to get the old drain out.
  4. nmnunna32

nmnunna32 New Member

HJ,

I am not sure if wingtite works in my case. Based on what I read wingtite drain is for 2 inch PVC pipes. My shower drain is connected to cast iron pipe which appears to be bigger than 2 inches...
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Pipes are spec'ed at the ID, not OD, so take that into consideration. It could be that they just put the shower over a floor drain, and there's no real connection. Hard to say without being there.