Shower Pan Blocking With Plumbing in the Way

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny B

Reaction score
I need advice on best way to do blocking for a shower pan when there is plumbing between the 2x4s in the wall where the blocking should go. In my case, there are 2 water copper supply lines coming up through the floor then running parallel to the floor and then back up, a 1-1/2" ABS vent, and some central vac lines. Some of this plumbing is within 1/2" of the front of the framing. So I can't just use 2X10s for blocking for the shower pan (unless I do some very fancy routeing).

Is it OK to just trim 1/2" off the 2" side of 2x4s (or use 2X2s), then use these to build around the plumbing (leaving 1/2" gap from front of framing), notching the lumber where necessary, and then nail 1/2" plywood to the face of the whole thing to block it all off? <hope this is clear>.

Any other ideas? Thanks much.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That should work. An alternative would be to use a surface membrane system rather than a conventional liner. You just need a surface to support the liner and the cbu. Remember to provide room in the corners for the folds of the liner.

Have you looked at Kerdi from www.schluter.com?
Personally, I think it works better and even if your floor requires a mud pan, you only need the one layer and the walls can be put up with drywall, including the curb. Having a waterproof layer immediately under the tile (whoever's system you choose) means the shower dries out much quicker and it contains moisture better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks