Shower pan base

Users who are viewing this thread

Talisker

Reaction score
We are getting new home build. The builder recessed the shower pan area when they pour concrete. We are not suppose to get recess tile pan. We want fiberglass. What material should they use to refill? Since they didn't pour concrete while they were doing foundation, is there gone be any problem later?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How much is it recessed? Fiberglass is less expensive than a tiled shower and can last a long time, but a properly installed tiled shower can be a lifetime install - a fiberglass one won't be. Depends somewhat on how much fill is needed, but there shouldn't be a problem filling it in. In fact, you could build a wooden platform to bring it level, so you could do the recessed, tiled, shower later without cracking out whatever is installed to fill it in now.

The only reason I'd use fiberglass verses a tiled shower is if cost was a big issue. The key here is a 'properly' installed shower, if done right, it should be problem free until you decide to remodel.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
There are many fiber glass shower pans out that have somewhere between a 3/4"-5" lip to them. You might select one, align the waste pipe and infill the hole with more cement so that your new shower has a drop down shower?

It is quit common for builders to prepare for a "Drop Down" shower in the South.

JW

Talisker

Reaction score
Thank you Jim and John for your reply. The builder said he is planning to backfill with quickset. Would that work, or I will have problem with that in the future?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks