Shower P-Trap Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
I am very much a plumbing novice and looking for some help on this, I had a shower drain already in my basement slab when my house was first built, i now am finishing off that basement space and had to move the vent and drain for the shower from original location. I have positioned the trap in the center of the shower and am looking for reassurance that it looks correct. Nothing is glued up yet, and the height of the riser coming up from trap isn't determined yet. Is there any type of pitch needed on this?

Brian

Attachments

• IMG00035..jpg
    IMG00035..jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,205
Last edited:

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
Terry, forgive my ignorance, but what do you consider the "trap arm". Do I just simply pitch drain 1/4" per foot? I am assuming the 'stand pipe' is the vertical piece coming out of trap?

Also, I'm going to be using a kerdi drain on this shower, can i just grab a 4" ABS coupling and put that around the top of the riser to allow for the bottom of the kerdi drain when i close up the slab, then pull the coupling out before it sets?

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The trap arm is the section between the trap and where it meets the drain and vent line - it needs to slope down for proper flow. The shape of the Kerdi drain has a bowl that may end up deeper than the slab surface, so you'll want to look at that dimmension. IOW, you'll probably need more room around the riser than just a coupling. You could leave about a 5-6" circle there, and fill it up with deck mud when you get ready to set the drain. Your pan over a slab may only be about 1" thick or possibly a little less if you use their foam tray. WHen ordering, if you haven't already, make sure to get the abs version as you can't glue pvc to abs. I think there is a line drawing of the drain on the www.schluter.com site, and if you haven't been there, check out www.johnbridge.com. Those guys install those drains all the time and can fill you in and double-check that detail from reams of experience.

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
Thank you, i already have the ABS version of the drain and will check out John Bridge site.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have dry fit the ABS, be prepared for your pipes not to fit when you glue them. ABS and PVC are interference fit which means they require the glue to make them bottom out in the fittings. You will lose about 1/4" per joint.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Current codes, like for UPC would require a combo or wye fitting on it's back.
If that is old, it may have been installed before that changed in the code.

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
I installed this when i moved the vent stack to make room for a bigger shower. its under a wall now and would be a pain to remove. i have attached a photo just to verify we are talking about the same thing. the sanitary tee connects the vent and then continues on.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.asp.jpg
    GetAttachment.asp.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG00039..jpg
    IMG00039..jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
It was inspected and he did sign off on it without question, but hard to say if he really looked that close.

from 2009 minnesota plumbing code:

4715.2410 CHANGE IN DIRECTION.
Changes in direction in drainage piping shall
be made by the appropriate use of 45 degree
wyes, long or short sweep quarter bends, sixth,
eighth, or sixteenth bends, or by combination of
these or equivalent fittings. Single and double
sanitary tees, quarter bends, and long turn ells
may be used in drainage lines only where the
direction of the flow is from the horizontal to the
vertical.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Changes in direction in drainage piping shall
be made by the appropriate use of 45 degree
wyes, ...eighth,......or by combination of
these or equivalent fittings. Single sanitary tees, .......
may be used in drainage lines only where the
direction of the flow is from the horizontal to the
vertical.

I think your quotation sums up why your connection is improper, even if it was missed during the inspection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If your inspector looked at it and passed it, you should be okay.
Just make sure nobody tries to "wet vent" using that section of pipe.
They will be in for a rude surprise.

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
Terry the vertical part of that tee is for vent only and was rough-in from the builder for basement shower and sink, i like to follow code and that is why i have pulled a permit for the basement remodel, my cousin helped me with plumbing and was a plumber for many years, but that was prior to this being code and im not sure he knows a sanitary tee cannot be laid on its back per code. It could be replace it but it would be a nightmare trying to get at it, since there is a 45 after the tee and that is under the finished floor in the bedroom next to the bath. this photo shows what i started with, the shower drain on the right and that vent is what i had to move to make the bathroom bigger and to center the drain, the vent goes up to an elbow and then over and elbow back down to the left there.

Attachments

• insulation 018..jpg
    insulation 018..jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks