Shower over Tub Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Schwarz633

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my bathroom and am very confused about selecting the proper valves. I've always preferred the type of shower valve where you push/pull to adjust the volume and rotate to adjust the temperature. Do they even use those any more? I've never liked the diverter in the tub spout, so I think I need a diverter valve. I'd also like to have a separate hose handheld shower head with an on/off valve for giving the dog a bath. So, I think the diverter I'm looking for would need to have 3 positions: shower, tub, handheld. Is this even possible? I'm looking online, but the diverters don't really seem to have much detail on how they actually work.

Schwarz633

Reaction score
Further research has me looking at the Delta Angular Modern Monitor® 17 Series Valve Trim with 6-Setting Integrated Diverter which uses the R22000 MultiChoice® Universal with Integrated Diverter Rough-In. The R22000 says not recommended for tubs, what's up with that? Not enough flow?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since showerheads are federally limited to a maximum of 2.5gpm, it's more common to make a diverter valve swap between various shower components (rain shower, 'normal' head, body sprays, handheld, etc.) than it is to include it into the tub, which is one of the few unrestricted water outlets in the home. SOmetimes, it's hard to find the actual gpm flow rates on the valves in question, so you need to either infer it (like, when they say not recommended for tub spouts), or call their tech support line, and try to find someone who actually knows. The actual internals of some valves are just not designed for full flow - it's less expensive. There are some out there, but I'm not up on what is available today.

Delta offers one type of tub spout that may seem a bit strange to most...it does not have a knob that you pull up to divert to the showerhead(s), it has a ring around the outlet that you actually pull down. It's much less in your face, and, I find, works better, longer than the type you pull up to make work. There are some advantages of that type - it lets the water drain verses holding a plug of water in the pipes that just sits there and cools off...hitting you with a cold slug each time you turn on the shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks