Shower noise

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by nadia, Sep 26, 2012.

1. nadia

nadia New Member

I have a moen single shower faucet and it makes a noise when the water handle is in the middle the noise stops when the handle is all the way on hot or cold. Do you know what the problem is
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

I wish I could help you. Sometimes showers make strange noises. Is it a new install or and older one?

JW
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

You have not provided enough information to determine whether the "problem" is real or imagined. Is this a new installation or old? If old, has the noise level changed over time?

Most modern shower valves have a pressure balance spool that monitors the pressure on both supplies and meters the output accordingly. This spool can produce a sound. The constriction of flow through the valve also produces a sound. When the control is set to full hot or full cold, the restriction on one side is less and the pressure balance spool seeing only one side has no role to play.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

In the ''middle" is when the flow is the greatest. Take the shower head off and run the water to see if that is where the noise is occurring.
  5. Natineah

Natineah New Member

I suggest that you call a plumber in your area because I can't really determine the problem of your shower.
  6. nadia

nadia New Member

7. nadia

nadia New Member

It is an older shower.It is a townhouse built in 2007 and I just bought it and the sound is very loud.When the water is on it does not make a noise when the handle is all the way on hot or cold but when the handle is in the middle after a few minutes the sound starts. I have taken the shower head down but the noise still comes through the water pipe.
  8. nadia

nadia New Member

I took the shower head down and the noise was still coming through the pipe.