Shower Mixing Valve Replacement Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Terry's point should be investigated! WHere does that pipe go when it goes up? If it is just a stub that is capped, it is a waste and you can eliminate it entirely. That would make it much easier.

Lkstaack

Reaction score
Valve Fitting Advice

I request valve fitting advice. As you can see, I've cut off the old valve and have around 1/2" clearance between the 4 pipes and the new valve. I was expecting to slide the couplings up the top and bottom pipes and then slide them down when the new valve is in place. However, the couplings don't want to go further than about 1/2 their length. Is this how you are supposed to fit the valve?

Attachments

• IMAG0456.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 868

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would think that the pipes to the side will move outward, allowing insertion into the valve. You may need to go beyond the studs and work from the verticals coming down.
The tub spout can go in last if needed.

But you're committed now. Chop out whatever you need to get that thing in there.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
You are using couplings with a "stop" that prevents them from sliding more than half-way onto the pipe; get couplings without the stop (aka a "repair coupling") and you'll be all set. You'll have to be sure that the coupling is held in place (with a screwdriver perhaps) when you solder those joints so the coupling spans each pipe about the same amount.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A repair coupling does not have a stop in the middle, so you can slide it anywhere you need, then slide it back to, ideally being centered around the two pieces of pipe. Keeping it there while soldering can sometimes be a pain, especially on the verticals so maybe a vice grip to hold it, or bend it slightly so it stays in place

Lkstaack

Reaction score
Do I have to start over?

I completed the valve installation only to find during pressure testing that I neglected to solder one each coupling joint to the tub and shower pipes. When I went back to solder the two joints, I found that the joints wouldn't suck in the solder. Did the leaking water affect the flux? What are my options besides starting over?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water will wash out the flux.
No worries. Just disassemble, clean up, flux and solder.

It's part of the learning process. We've all done that.

Lkstaack

Reaction score
Water will wash out the flux.
No worries. Just disassemble, clean up, flux and solder.

It's part of the learning process. We've all done that.

Crud. Assembly was a bitc*. Disassembly and reassembly will be a pain too. Well, like you said, its all part of the learning process. Thanks Terry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks