Shower Mixing Valve or Tank not putting hot water through

Users who are viewing this thread

kwspears

Reaction score
I have a shower that can't get beyond luke warm. Sink next to it gets plenty of hot water. I have sterling fixtures throughout and the house is about 15 years old. I changed out the mixing valve, but that didn't completely solve the problem. I can finally get medium warm water if I let it run for 5 minutes, and then, every once in a while full hot water comes through (not good if you're in the shower!). Attaching 2 pictures. Do I need to replace the mixing tank/fixture behind the valve, clean something out somehow, or something else? Trying to avoid the major plumbing bill if I can.... IMG_1382 (598x800).jpgIMG_1377 (598x800).jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Do you have a hot water circulation system and pump? That valve does not appear to have a "temperature limiting stop", so if everything else is proper, you should get maximum hot water when it is turned all the way to the left. BUT, a malfunctioning circulation system CAN produce your symptoms.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The piece with the word "up" on it is the balancing spool. Pull it out with needle nose pliers, and replace it.

kwspears

Reaction score
Thanks for the information on the balancing spool! Will give that a try. Is it there any trick to pulling it out? (Trying to avoid a Tim the Toolman moment!).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks