Shower Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Cassidy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been a memeber for quit sometime but it's be awhile. I have a question that might be more suited for the Twilight Zone, but I'll ask here first. I have a 2nd floor shower stall that is leaking and dripping into the garage that the bathroom is over. Ok, I did a test to see if I can determing where the leak was coming from. The first thing I did was plug the drain and fill up the shower stall an inch. It leaked same as always. So, i figured i found the leak. But here is where my real confusion comes from. I have a spray hose as my shower head. I figured while I was focused on the stall i might as well replace since it was kind of old and dirty. So, i bought the same thing. Shower head and hose. Now, no more leaks! How is this possible? I didn't change anything behind the walls or under the floor, etc. Just the hose?????

Thanks,
Kevin

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Could the shower arm have been a little loose in the wall? Tightening the new head sealed it up? I'd pull the arm from the wall and add some pipe dope on it, if its questionable.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Many shower leaks come from the shower arm. On a condo I owed years back the shower arm was made from chrome plated plastic and broke at the connection to the wing back.

I think your test leaked water inside the walls when you ran it like normal and once you replaced this fitting you solved the problem.

I would be worried about hidden water damage.

I would do a deeper investigation to rule out some deeper issues and find a way to start moving air through those walls...

Kevin Cassidy

Reaction score
Many shower leaks come from the shower arm. On a condo I owed years back the shower arm was made from chrome plated plastic and broke at the connection to the wing back.

I think your test leaked water inside the walls when you ran it like normal and once you replaced this fitting you solved the problem.

I would be worried about hidden water damage.

I would do a deeper investigation to rule out some deeper issues and find a way to start moving air through those walls...

Guys, thanks to both. I can't believe that never occurred to me. With that being said, if there are no more leaks why would you think there could be continuing hidden water behind the walls?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Long term leaks can weaken structures. Invite bugs to come in and live and all sorts of nasty moldy business.

I would want to have a look and see myself. Even if it meant drywall repairs and painting.

You had a leak. It's fixed. Or is it?

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Its the water from the past that could have been causing damage. If you have access to the back of the wet wall, cutting an inspection hole would be in your best interest. Leave it open for a while to air things out. How long since you noticed the leak? It could have been leaking a while before you saw anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks