Shower leak from temperature control

Users who are viewing this thread

gqsales

Reaction score
The system I have is similar to the one in this video:

The bottom control drips water at a pretty steady rate from behind the part that turns (to change temperature).

I can get the handle off (set screws) but then I can't get the next piece of the knob off. It doesn't budge at all for the bottom (temperature control). The top one comes off cleanly with no effort at all... Is there a special tool to remove the bottom knob? The shaft looks longer so maybe it grips more... But it doesn't seem to slide off at all and I don't want to pull too hard and possibly break something... Any techniques / suggestions are welcome!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
... Is there a special tool to remove the bottom knob? The shaft looks longer so maybe it grips more... But it doesn't seem to slide off at all and I don't want to pull too hard and possibly break something... Any techniques / suggestions are welcome!

The video you linked too says you need a phillips screw driver to remove a screw at the end of the stem. Did you take that out?

gqsales

Reaction score
Yes, I took off the screw. Then according to the vid it should come off easily but on mine it's completely stuck. I wonder if the plumber who did the install uses a glue or adhesive of some kind?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would not think anybody would glue it together. Minerals from the water probably filled in the gaps. You will have to wiggle it and pull it off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks