Shower Insert Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

tenhigh31

Reaction score
I am about to remodel a bathroom and wanted some opinions on tub/shower inserts. The current bathroom has a tub but no shower head, and sheet rock from the tub to the ceiling. It also has a 2'X2' window centered in the wall above the tub. I plan to take out the sheet rock, run a pipe and shower head, then put up cement backerboard in place of the sheet rock all around.

I'd rather not tile the walls around the tub and I'd like to put in an insert that replicates tile. They're inexpensive and seem durable, but I don't have experience with them. Are they recommended? I'm also wondering if it's possible to cut out a window in the insert and get waterproof trim (vinyl?) for the current window, or do I need to eliminate the window all together?

This is a great forum and I appreciate the help!

JB

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I've read, most inserts do not work well with cutouts. A solid surface one might work. Problem is keeping water getting in back of it around the cutout of the window. Plus, windows typically don't like moisture on the inside! You might want to change the window to a vinal one, then you wouldn't be rotting out the window, but again, it is tough to keep water from teh shower out of the wall. If you want tile ideas on this, check out www.johnbridge.com

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Also, if you decide to keep a window there, it should have tempered glass. That's a requirement around here.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I agree, tiling would be best. As for the window use a vinyl or aluminum window inside the shower area. I would think that trimming out the window with some sort of insert would look kind of shotty--and would probably void the warranty. I did my whole shower w/ 13x13 tiles and it looks nice. I have no window, but a shower niche. Really not too much work w/ big tiles though.

Good Luck

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks