Shower head won't flow

Users who are viewing this thread

avin83

Reaction score
Hello,

When I pull the diverter switch to turn on water through the shower head, the water won't came out. The water is blocked with little 'thump' sound when it hits a certain water power. (the water comes out of the shower head at a low power though)

So far I have tried the following - replaced the diverter, took out the shower head and hose, and even replaced the cartridge (moen 1222b) inside the faucet. But it did NOT resolve the problem.

I have searched the similar symptom on this forum and other sites (see the link)... but unable to find the resolution.

http://www.bobvila.com/posts/59998-shower-head-won-t-flow?page=1#.VhMvXPlVhBc

I spent many hours on this and I am running out of options. Pretty frustrated now... I am wondering whether anyone had a similar problem like mine? Any advice is appreciated!

Jun

Last edited:

avin83

Reaction score
The problem was the safety component that connects between the hose and the wall... It is a little, cylinder-shaped one. I have taken out the component and connected the hose and then water came out of the hose normally.

The plumbing supplier eventually figured out the problem... They said it is completely okay to remove the component. Thanks... :)

Jun

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if the thing that you removed was somehow on the wrong side of its seat. That would seem to match the symptom.

A backflow device would be to prevent the shower from sucking water if there was somehow a vacuum in the plumbing.Feel safe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For a handheld that could be sitting in dirty bathwater, a vacuum breaker (which is probably what you removed) is required by code. As mentioned, if there's a hiccup in the water pressure, it would prevent dirty water from being sucked back into your potable water system. So, yes, it could be unsafe. Those conditions can occur, but it depends on where you live, how often or likely it is. Have a fire in the neighborhood when they open up a fire hydrant, and it is quite likely, but there are other reasons, too, that can cause that to happen.

avin83

Reaction score
For a handheld that could be sitting in dirty bathwater, a vacuum breaker (which is probably what you removed) is required by code. As mentioned, if there's a hiccup in the water pressure, it would prevent dirty water from being sucked back into your potable water system. So, yes, it could be unsafe. Those conditions can occur, but it depends on where you live, how often or likely it is. Have a fire in the neighborhood when they open up a fire hydrant, and it is quite likely, but there are other reasons, too, that can cause that to happen.

I see. Thanks for the advice :) I will take shower without it for a week and see what happens...

Jun

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A correctly functioning vacuum breaker should not cause that problem. I have one on mine, and it always works fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks